Chief Instructor & Founder of NJMMAA
Garrett started his martial arts training at the age of 5 years old in Okinawan Shorin Ryu Shotokan. Garrett has since expanded his training to other arts such as Muay Thai, Aikido, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Through his training, he has earned a 2nd-degree black belt in Karate Do, a 1st-degree black belt in Kobudo under Renshi Gene Corbo, and is currently a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under George Sernack (Renzo Gracie Black Belt).
He holds Black Belts in:
- 2nd Degree BB Shorin-Ryu Shorinkan
- 1st Degree BB Shorin Ryu Weapons
- 3rd Degree BB American Freestyle Kickboxing (World Champion Grandmaster Reginald Goode)
- 1st Degree Renzo Gracie BB (George Sernack)
- Licensed Corner/Cutman NJ/NY/PA
- Martial Arts Consultant: SCCC, KHS, LifeWithJoy, and local law enforcement and military personal.
As a competitor, Garrett has medaled on the State, National, and Junior Olympic levels. In addition, his students have competed with much success in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/ Submission Grappling competitions. Currently, he is a licensed corner man who manages both amateur and Pro-MMA fighters.
For the past decade, Garrett has turned his focus towards his students. Helping them achieve their personal martial arts and fitness goals. Whether you are looking to be a professional fighter, loss weight, bully proof your child or just find a stress release he can help you obtain your goals.
Sergio Vilas: Asst Adult/Kids BJJ Instructor
Sergio Vilas has a passion for teachings well as competing. You can catch Sergio on the mats daily, training and teaching in our kids as well as adult classes. Sergio is currently a BJJ Brown Belt as well as a Yellow belt in our American Freestyle Kickboxing. Some of Sergio’s accomplishments are:
- 3x NAGA Champion
- 2018 Kasai Pro 2 Super Fight Winner
- 2017 Kasai Purple Belt Light Heavyweight and Absolute Gold Medalist
- 2016 BJJ Pan Am Bronze Medalist NY NY
- 2016 BJJ World Championship Competitor Long Beach CA
- AM Grappling Record 17-2 14 Submissions
- AM Kickboxing Record 1-0 1KO
- Am MMA Record 1-0 1sub
Off of the mats, Sergio is also a former track and field competitor holding multiple records for Wallkill Valley HS. He is also an accomplished Snowboard/Skateboard competitor as well as a model and world traveler.
Brian Rast: Kids BJJ/Assistant KB Instructor
Brian Rast is currently a student at Kittitany HS. Brian is committed to his training and coaching, putting countless hours into perfecting his craft as an instructor and a martial artist. Brian is currently a BJJ Blue Belt as well as an Orange Belt in American Freestyle Kickboxing. Some of Brian’s accomplishments are:
- 2014 Grapplers Quest Champion Gi/NoGi
- 2014 NJBJJF Silver Gi/Champion NoGi
- 2014 NAGA Battle at the Beach Silver Gi/NoGi
- 2014 NAGA Wolrd Silver Medalist
- 2015 NAGA World Champion Gi/NoGi
- 2016 NAGA Expert Teens Champ NoGi
- 2016 NAGA Expert Teens Silver Medalist Gi
Am Kickboxing Record 0-1
Off the mats, Brian is looking forward to finishing up High school and enrolling into college. As well as chasing his dreams to become a professional mixed martial artist.